Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Neighbours

We have some new people in the neighbourhood. They moved in on Friday night. I have yet to meet them but I have seen them around.

There is a mother, father and daughter. I would guess the daughter is about 6 years old.

On Saturday morning, mom and dad were in the house (I assume) and the doors and windows were shut up tight and daughter was riding around the neighbourhood on a tricycle.

Now I am not a parent yet, however, I don't think after spending ONE night in a neighbourhood that I would let my child outside, on their own to ride around without any adult supervision. The parents don't know the neighbours, the child doesn't know anyone...I just found it disturbing.

Am I wrong???

5 comments:

4D said...

My thoughts were more on what happens if she goes off too far and gets lost? New neighbourhood and not familiar. I hope they were keeping a close eye on her thru the closed windows. I supervise the dog when she is in the yard!

Keep smilin!

redmaryjanes said...

Well, I am constantly called 'overprotective', so yes, that bothers me.

The Carmodys said...

We've lived in our neighbourhood for four years now and I still wouldn't let my six year old out on her own . . . just not old enough in my opinion. But then I've been known to be a tad over protective. Better that than the other way though.

k

C's Mom said...

Wouldn't be my thing either. Of course, not much surprises me anymore when I have women who will refuse a c-section birth when there is risk of great harm/death to her child and she is informed of as much. She found it more important that she didn't have a scar. (The baby did need resuscitation and did well but who know about any long term effects).

There is not thinking (like the situation you note) and there is downright evil (like no-scar woman). Parents come in all forms and I use the word 'parents' loosely.

kitchu said...

Nope, that is NOT something I'd do!