Sunday, February 28, 2010

You Can't be Serious!!

In January 2006 we began our journey to our daughter from China.


During that time, there have been many ups and downs in relation to our adoption. As time went on, the ‘downs’ significantly outweighed the ups.


A while ago – maybe a year or two – our agency instituted a new fee that they called an ‘administration fee’. They ‘sold’ the fee by saying that things in China were slowing down and they needed the money to develop and look into new programs in international adoption. I was furious. I really don’t care about other programs, I care about MY program. This admin fee was used to keep my file active also. My file is sitting on a shelf in China and has been since December 6, 2006. I honestly don’t know what they are required to do with my file over there.


Whatever…


On Friday afternoon – at 3:38pm, we – and others from our agency – received an e-mail from the board of directors informing us that the ‘admin’ fee has just been increased by 500% to $1200/year – EFFECTIVE MONDAY!!


OH YES!!


SOOO – The cost has increased 500% in the last two years – who is to say that it isn’t going to increase another 500% in the next year or the year after. Who is to say an ADDITIONAL $20,000 later there will be a baby at the end. Who is to say that after our agency has bled us dry we will be afford to travel to China. Who is to say that after this blackmail and if it gets paid, our agency goes bankrupt what then?


I am LIVID – that doesn’t even seem to be the word that fits. With an anticipated five year wait still ahead of us, that is an additional $6000 - at THIS point in time - on an adoption that may or may not even happen!!!


There were no cost cutting measures added or included with the e-mail. No reductions in pay, no 4 day work week, no changing offices to pay less rent, no asking for volunteers instead of paying staff, no NOTHING – well except for the demand for money to cover whatever…


We can’t call and complain either, as they have been instructed (and this started a while ago) to not talk to clients if they get irate – they are told to hang up on us. They apparently don’t have to deal with the problems caused by anything.


So what happens to our file if our agency DOES go under? Anyone know? Right now I am not sure that I care about any of it anyway. Anyone else had additional fees instituted by their agency?


AAGGGHHHH!!!!

12 comments:

Juliette said...

This is just plain scandalous.
I hope all the people using your agency fight back and don't let that happen.

Kim said...

Hello, I was just wondering what agency you have gone through. My husband and I are from NB and are just starting our adoption from China. We are going the waiting child route, and are still deciding on an agency. If you want you can email me at: kimberleerayner@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I have heard about this shizizzle from one of our gals. Unbelievable. And yet it is reality. My fear is that if you suck it up and pay it, what is to say that they will not increase it in 3 months?

If there was another option (and perhaps there is), RUN!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Ugh. Despicable.

D & S said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. I want to vomit.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Extortion: the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.

Everyone waiting is screwed. This agency is filthy and NOT about the children. They have their cronies watching the blogs and reporting back. *grin*

I love that people are finally standing up and are in the process of banding together to shut this down.

4D said...

No polite words can be written here to express the disgust I have.

Anonymous said...

That is really unreal. $100 per month to "keep your file active?" What are they doing to your file every month? Blowing dust off it?

That is crazy...and should be illegal.

Michele said...

I wouldn't pay it, let them go out of business and have all your files transferred to another agency, one that doesn't rip off their clients to line their pockets and one that is more stable. I am sorry that you have this additional stress. I hope that your Ministry can do something about this mess.

kitchu said...

get thee to the MEDIA. this is total (oh the word i want to use).

unethical to the CORE. they need to be called out on it. i hope all of you with this agency that are waiting to adopt from china band together to put a stop to this kind of extortion.

Mamacita said...

Call the authorities. Don't you have some kind of contract? I am seriously so sorry. This is the exact definition of "Insult to Injury." Big hugs.

Snowflowers Mum said...

Oh No they di'int!

What a pack of slimy wankers. The agency works for YOU, you are thier clients. I agree, this is extortion and you need to get thee to the media!

Mutiny!