Thursday, March 10, 2011

Awkward

The other night, Husband and I went to the mall after work. We had a couple of birthdays coming up and we needed to shop.

We were standing in line to pay for our purchases and there was a lady behind us with two young boys. I would say they were 3 and 5 – maybe 4 and 6. The area to line up was narrow and we were single file. Husband was in front of me and behind me was the little boy, his mother and then the other little boy.

As I was standing there, I felt someone touching my bum. It seemed like it was accidental…at first. It happened a few times and I casually glanced behind me and realized it was the 3 or 4 year old boy. The accidental “touching” turned into a full on RUB!!! This child was RUBBING my butt!!

My head is now swirling. I am not sure what to do. I am not sure how to handle this. Do I say something? Do I ignore? AAGGHH!

I glanced behind me again and the mother was looking the other way – actually her back was totally to the boy.

At that point in time I decided to ignore. Maybe he would stop. Maybe the slowest cashier in the WORLD would speed up.

The child finally stopped rubbing my butt – for a second – and I felt instant relief. I didn’t have to deal with this after all! PHEW!!

Well the relief was short lived. The child then decided to start HITTING me with the toy that he had in his hand!!

It was at that point that I decided to take some action – right or wrong, this is what I did. I turned to the boy behind me – his mom still had her back to him and didn’t witness any of this – I said to the boy in a stern, but not raised voice “That is not very nice”. The child’s eyes popped open and he took two steps back and just stared at me.

The mother never even turned around.

3 comments:

D & S said...

Sorry but I had a huge laugh at your expense there. Awkward indeed. I think you did the right thing and the mom, well, that just confirms my thoughts that everyone should have to go through a homestudy before having children.

Catherine said...

Ugh! Brings back bad flashbacks to stink eye girl earlier this year! :o)

You're right...AWKWARD!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

OH NO! A butt rubbing isn't always a good thing. LOL! But I would TOTALLY say something. It's okay, because some parents are complete idiots. ;-)