Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Catching up...

I am going to try and catch up on the past week and a half. In that time, I had company for a couple of days and I was out of town. There were only 2 days at home - lots of laundry done on those days!

I spent the weekend two weekends ago with my friend Ronni and her family at their cottage. What a great place that is and wonderful and gracious hosts her family is. Mark and I have been there before and always enjoy it. Ronni has two GREAT kids - they are 9 & 8.

I remember the first time I had spent time with Ronni and her kids and the first thing I noticed was how great she was with them. She parented the way I did in my head - if that makes sense. All the things that I said I wanted to do - she was doing, the way I would react was the way that she reacted, the way I think I would discipline the kids is the way that she disciplined her kids. All round, I think she - and her hubby - are fantastic parents and wonderful friends.

Here is Mark enjoying is H*arry Potter book and his Caesar by the water - life doesn't get much better then this!



Here are a couple of pictures that me and the kids took over the weekend. They asked if they could take some pictures for themselves and here are some samples of them.

No weekend away is complete without good friends, good food and good times and this weekend accomplished all three, plus some good weather and good swimming!




Apparently the kids enjoy landscape pictures!! They did take a couple of pictures of each other, but I don't want to post them here.


Part II


Mark and I were home and working for 2 days and then Dianne and her daughter Jordyn came into town. Dianne was one of the first friend I had in university. I was living away from home and NOT on campus but in a basement room with an odd lady. I was the only person from my high school to go to this university and I was feeling lonely and sorry for myself. I decided that this was NOT the university life that I wanted or envisioned. So one day while I was in line at the cafeteria, with my back to the 'eating' area, I said to myself "after you pay you are going to turn around and find a seat beside someone and sit there and introduce yourself" and I did!! Dianne and I became fast friends and she was my roommate (along with 3 other girls) the next year. We lived together for a couple of years and during our last year in university, her parents moved to Calgary. When we finished school, her and I packed up her car and hit the road and drove out to her parents new place in Calgary. Dianne was convinced that she was only going to stay for 6 months until she got organized and came back to Ontario...MANY years later and she is still there!

Two years ago, Dianne adopted a wonderful little girl who is almost 6. She is lovely and Dianne is a GREAT mom. When I picked them up from the airport and we were driving and Jordyn said MOM and I MELTED! It was so great to hear Dianne referred to as mom!

Dianne too is a FANTASTIC mom! She is SO great with Jordyn and they just compliment each other so well! Dianne too is the kind of mother that I want to be with my kids!

Here we are - Jordyn took the picture of Dianne and I - she might have a future as a photographer!




It was GREAT to meet Jordyn and to see Di again.

More to come on catch up...

11 comments:

D & S said...

Wow you sure have been busy! I'm glad you had a chance to relax and catch up with friends.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

You and Mark are defintely a Power Couple! Sounds like you had a great weekend with Ronni and the kids and a fabulous visit with Dianne and Jordyn. Summer is great for catching up with old friends (and new ones ;)).
Can't wait to read more.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

You just sat down and introduced yourself? WOWSERS! You are so brave!!!! I think that's great! Nice to see old friends again!

Anonymous said...

that is great that you got to see diane and jordyn...i haven't even met her yet...i didn't know that she was going to be in town...
lorri

4D said...

A busy time but fun filled!!

What a great summer this has been for you..busy and fun, fun, fun!

Keep smilin!

Calico Sky said...

What a wonderful week you had! So lovely to catch up with old friends, cottage country = my life! lol

What Uni did you go to?? I felt really sorry for you living in a basement first year :(

Anne Marie said...

What a great week! I love the story about how you and Dianne became friends! You were so brave and it really paid off. Jordyn is a beautiful girl!

redmaryjanes said...

What wonderful times! I love that picture of Mark with his drink and a book! And I'm so happy for your friend and glad that you got to spend some time with her.

Lindsey said...

Sounds like a busy busy few weeks =)! Gotta love catching up with friends and just enjoying each others company!

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

What a great busy time!!
Just catching up with you all!!

Anthony & Crystal said...

Hi guys,
I enjoyed catching up on your blog.
Looks like you guys have been very busy.
I am glad that you are enjoying your summer and spending time outside with good friends.
What better way to let the time pass.