Friday, August 28, 2009

Work vs. Personal

Last week at work, I received an e-mail from a business associate. This associate is NOT someone that I have ever met in person. In actuality, this was the first correspondence that I have ever had with her.

The e-mail was in response to a business question that I was asking.

Her response back to me was signed off with “Have a Blessed Day”.

What people choose to say or not say in their personal e-mails is their business. However, I don’t feel that this was an appropriate sign off for business correspondence.

Thoughts?

11 comments:

4D said...

You have to keep it professional. It is a lovely greeting but not one that I would use for work. But I don't like anyone at work so it could be me...

Keep smilin!

Michelle said...

I agree with 3D. She would have been better off just signing it "have a great day".

I'm not overly fond of anyone at my work either though.

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michele said...

Not appropriate. Not professional. But unfortunately somep people have the need to spread their blessings to everyone they come in contact with.

Juliette said...

Yup I agree not very professional.
Never seen it at work.
Have a fun (blessed) weekend! Wink*

two kayaks said...

Definitely not for work. Especially in our religiously pluralistic country.

Doreen said...

I agree with 3D too. Too personal.

Doreen in Montreal single mom to Faith-Jiangxi & Mia-Sichuan

Cavatica said...

Don't like it, myself, and I don't think it's professional. However, I don't think I would get too upset about it, but it would color my view of the person. In other words, annoying, but their problem.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I think many people, including non-religious people, use the word "blessing" or "I am blessed" every day. They don't necessarily attach a religious connotation with it. That being said, even though I am a Christian, I would not use that sign off myself in a business relationship.

D & S said...

I agree with everyone else, it's not appropriate for work.

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Yep not professional.
I am a religious person but would never thing of writing than in an email at work.