Friday, February 08, 2008

Sigh...

Here is my bitch session:

We have had LOTS of snow recently - last week and this week. The snow is NOT a surprise. The news was reporting it everywhere. EVERYONE knew it was coming.

I - as the conscientious employee - sets my alarm earlier so that I have time to clean off my car and drive through the snow and the traffic to get to work at my normal time. I make the effort.

There are many in my office who DON'T change their routine and continually show up 20-40 minutes late. They don’t shorten their lunch. They don't stay later at the end of the day.

These people are also smokers. So not only do they show up late for work, they take MULTIPLE breaks in the morning AND the afternoon to smoke.

As far as I can tell - other then the health concerns for smoking, there are no consequences for their actions.

Why do I bother to get up early to get to work on time to do my job?? WHY??

Here is me who stays late and worries when I take 5 minutes longer for lunch.

I truly think that these people don't even think that they are doing anything wrong!!

Apparently it doesn't matter what time you show up. It doesn't matter how many breaks you take and it doesn't matter what you do while you are sitting at your desk holding your head up while staring at the internet!! AAGGHH!!!

To top things off - the boss might send everyone home early because of the weather. Well I start work at 7:00 and other people in the department are SUPPOSED To start at 8:00, but might show up at 8:40 - well at 2:45 he sends everyone home - GEE THANKS - 15 minutes for me and I was the ONLY one who showed up in time in the first place. So, while I worked 7hours 45 minutes, they worked 6 hours!!!

It is frustrating as I work in a union environment and everyone gets the same pay - no mater how much work you accomplish.

Sigh…

21 comments:

4D said...

I told you...you should start going for 15 minute breaks twice a day in the bathroom. Bring a book.

Even when I smoked, I did not take breaks and it bugged me that others did. So I took bathroom breaks!

Keep smilin!

Sophie's Mom said...

Years ago I worked at a place, and when the bosses went home, the smokers would take their phones into the 'smoking room', and do their job while sucking on stinking cigarettes the whole time, like one giant break. It was nasty, and I would get so mad! I would purposely answer the phone slowly, so they would have to get it first, since they were just sitting there sucking on cigs until the next call (I was doing other productive things). Grrrr...

Anonymous said...

That DOES sound thoroughly frustrating. I firmly believe in the principle, though, that you reap what you sow. Maybe there isn't any sign of it now...but, I think that there is an extra blessing out there for you because of your conscientiousness...

Anonymous said...

At least I am not the only one. I feel for you, sweet girl. As a teacher, I see other teachers arrive to school 15 minutes before the bell and leave soon after school. They hand out photocopies to their students (NOT TEACHING) and pretty much tell the kids to leave them alone. Sigh...unions are amazing and I am thankful for the protection they offer, but some people abuse the status.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I would be totally mad at that too!!!!!!!!!!!

D & S said...

As a non-smoker, it really irritated me too when people would go out 4-5 times a day for about 10-15 minutes a day. That's an extra hour a day they're not working and I am. Very frustrating.

Anonymous said...

I hear what you are saying loud and clear Michelle!!! I think we should start taking the breaks we are entitled to take.

Unions are great but most of the time they are protecting those who are abusing the system. It drives me crazy!

Julie said...

Wow, that sucks.

I do agree that what you put out into the world comes back to you. It may not seem like it, but I am sure others notice your efforts.

Mamacita said...

Ugh. That is intollerable. BUT, if you didn't do your best, I have a feeling you would stay awake at night, looking at the ceiling. I'm sure at some point, you will be rewarded.

The smoking breaks always bugged me too.

OH MY #6 said...

sigh is right!

Lea

Tracey and Mike said...

Bitch away! I can't stand anything "unfair". What you were talking about would drive me INSANE!

Brandi said...

I know exactly how you feel! I'm rarely late...but when I am I make sure to cut my lunch short or stay later in the afternoon. But not everyone thinks they should. And as for smokers...don't even get me started!

I completely understand!

C's Mom said...

I hear ya....it happens in every environment I am almost sure of it.

Frustrates you to the eyeballs none the less, I know.

insanemommy said...

I hear you, but sadly it happens every where. What goes around eventually will come around.

Michele said...

I guess it all goes back to our parents that taught us to be responsible employees. I'm the same as you...I feel guilty if I am 5 minutes late. Hopefully there will be some reward in our future for being the good ones????

The luckiest mommy in the world said...

Isn't it funny how the bad employees are the ones who never get in trouble. It's like they have horseshoes up their @$$

BTW: Just tagged you, check out my blog for the rules.

Deb

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged. Check out my blog for the rules.

redmaryjanes said...

That sounds very frustrating. You are a great employee though, there is some satisfaction in that. And you never know, someone may be noticing who the slackers are.

meandww said...

I totally hear you.

Hope the rest of the week is better...it can stop snowing already!! Geesh...

"M2" said...

I will give you same advice (which you probably don't want)
as I do my husband.
He works in a government job.....same type of deal

do the BARE MINIMUM

Alyson and Ford said...

I believe we should do what is right and honest. If you don't do your "day" worth of work then you are being dishonest (or stealing from the company). Just my take on life (JMHO).
You are doing the right thing and not to worry about others. That is up to others to judge and punish. You sound like a wonderful person to work with. I am alot like you.

Alyson LID 01/27/06