Friday, July 13, 2007

A Visit to the Clinic


For those who regularly read this blog, you will remember last weekends post when I told about how 'something' had bitten my elbow and it all puffed up and was red hot to the touch and there was some kind of infection or something in the elbow.

I was also lucky enough to have a doctor there with us and she called in a prescription for me to the local drug store and I had some antibiotics to help in the healing process of my elbow.

The elbow is doing MUCH better. Not to where is was, but HUGE improvement from last week - that is for sure.

For the ladies out there, you know what happens when you take antibiotics...I personally have NOT taken antibiotics in YEARS and YEARS so I guess it slipped my mind about what 'could' happen when you take them.

Well let me tell you - there was NO forgetting today!! I thought I was going to die - the infection is driving me crazy!! I was beside myself wondering how I will survive. The last time I had this infection was about 20 years ago - didn't like it then either.

Today I was e-mailing Doris and I told her about my dilemma and she asked if I could get a prescription for Difluk*n a one shot deal - I was not aware of such a thing, I needed to check it out. THANKS DORIS!! I didn't think I was going to have enough time to do anything about it, but then it comes to a point that you don't care HOW late you are going to be for the evenings events, you MUST take care of this before ALL else.

So off I went to the Walk-In Clinic. The first one I went to, they said at least an hour wait - crap - too long. Off to the next one - it was closed - today only...great. Then to the third - I was starting to feel like Goldilocks as this was just right - approximately a 20 minute wait. So down I sit...

There was a lady there with her son - he was about 2 1/2 I would say. There was another lady there with her daughter again, about 2 1/2 and 2 other people other then myself.

Well the boy was bored - and I can see how waiting is not fun. The mom sat in her chair, read her magazine and BARKED orders to her son. J - stop doing that. J - Come here. J - Stop touching the people. J - Don't drop that on the ladies foot. J - I SAID come here. J - Sit down please. J - That's not nice. J - Come back here - DON"T go thorough there. Well it wasn't until the final one that she actually got off her butt and retrieved her son who had disappeared into the back where the exam rooms are. You wonder how I rmemeber all these...I actually wrote them all down. Yes I am an addicted blogger when I am writing stuff down to report on later!! Back to the lady, when I say she barked - she did. At one point, this kid started smacking my leg. I was SHOCKED - the mom said - J - that's not nice. AND THAT WAS IT. He kept doing it! I think I was stunned and didn't quite know how to react. The kid did stop, but the mom just kept barking. It was odd...

To even make the wait better, the other mom with her daughter kept singing to her daughter to keep her calm. AHHHHH that's nice...NOT SO MUCH - the song of choice was Barbie Girl...yes you know it: I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world - Life in plastic, it's fantastic! Well she sang it over and over and over and over again...

Someone get me and my itch OUT OF HERE!!!

Finally - Prescription received, taken and fingers crossed that I feel better in the morning!

28 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Oh, that visit does NOT sound like fun! ARG! I have no clue what i would do if someone's kid started to hit me. Wowsers.

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! Hope you are feeling better!

Catherine said...

Ouch! Hope you're feeling better soon!

D & S said...

Those are no fun whatsoever! I hope the antidote kicks in soon.

I don't get some people sometimes. I really don't understand why they don't show their kids what's appropriate public behaviour.

Donna Paonessa said...

You just wait and see what YOU use to keep YOUR child amused at the doctor's office!! *grin*

The first mother clearly doesn't have a clue. The poor child was bored and trying desperately to get some attention. It's hard enough for an adult to sit and wait...but pure torture for a child. I will boast that I always carry crayons, pens and paper handy, for that specific purpose. My children NEVER irritate anyone in a waiting room. My focus is on them, not a freakin' magazine.

Oh, and sorry to hear about your nasty infection....ouch!!!

wzgirl said...

No way. Barbie Girl? As, a like, lullabye sort of thing? Eww.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Oh, man!!! I have had one of those infections in my life and that was certianly enough. It happened after a surgical procedire in which I had to have a cathetar. YUCK!!
Hope you are feeling better today...you have a big day today, so you just HAVE to feel good!
I am not sure how I would have reacted, but I probably would have given some pretty serious glares.
Sigh...Feel better!

Anne Marie said...

Lessons in how not to parent. Sheesh! I hope your itch is cured TODAY! UGH! Super UGH!

Liz and Ava said...

Been there, done that!
Hope your prescription works!

Julie said...

Yikes!! I hope you feel better!!!
There are some interesting people out there!

Laurie said...

Sounds like a trip to the spa is in order for you. What a day! Hope your feeling better very soon.

Rhonda said...

*snort* Barbie Girl? Really? Oy.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

The Carmodys said...

Oh I am so laughing my head off - not at the itch - but at your replay of the situation with the kids. You are a great storyteller!

I so hope the itch is HISTORY and you can enjoy your weekend.

k

kitchu said...

WOW. That 3rd clinic was really a charm... sheesh.

Did the Diflucan work? It rocks. I've yet to use it, but patients tell me it's a god send.

Anonymous said...

Oh I hate those. Hope you are feeling better.

C's Mom said...

I almost always write a script for yeast with any antibiotic rx. It's pure evil. Hopefully, the Di#@# does it. It doesn't do it for everyone.

Sounds like the wait was nearly as annoying as the infection ;0)

4D said...

You are the funniest! A true blogger thru and thru.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

Don't get bit again. It is not a good thing.

Mamacita said...

ugh. that's the worst. And why don't parents remove the child from the situation and distract them? Arg.

"M2" said...

Say what???? you took the antibiotics and did you have a bad reaction to them???
Scary

Calico Sky said...

Um Debbie...I have the same thing right now!!! Okay, that got a chuckle out of me...

re the kid, sounds like all he get's is negative attention, so it's what he craves...very sad.

Will email you tonight. Thank you for your kind words. I will see you soon!

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

That was the waiting room from hell.
I'm sure it took everything not to slap the kid!!

redmaryjanes said...

How awful, I hope that you are feeling better soon!

Tracey and Mike said...

ugghhh! Hope your prescription kicks in soon! You have my sympathy!

THE DAVENPORT FAMILY said...

wow...that sucks all around...i know how walk in clinic waiting rooms are with kids...been there, done that

Michelle said...

Oh!! I hope you are feeling better. It makes me mad that Dr's don't remind patients to take probiotics when they are taking antibiotics, so you won't get the darn infection! It works! I take probiotics all the time, they are very good for you!

Alyson and Ford said...

Hope you are haiving a MUCH better day today!

ALyson
LID 01/27/06

Headmeister said...

Dude, I've been there. Numerous times. Used to be chronic with me when I was a teen, but now, THANK GOD, barely ever. Hope you feel better, and be sure to keep your hands in your pockets...lol.

Barbie Girl? Smacking your leg? I would have lost it...lol