Monday, February 26, 2007

A bit of this and a bit of that


First off I would like to thank Rhonda and Kathy for the wonderful CNY cards. I am a little behind the 8 ball on that one – sorry... What a lovely gesture and it was very much appreciated! Thank you!!

Secondly – Last night we were at Hortense’s and we celebrated Mark’s birthday! We had a GREAT time as usual!! I made cupcakes and we had them in a ‘tree’. Very cool actually!

Thirdly– I have FINALLY updated my 100 Good Wishes Quilt site – you can see it by clicking here. We are at 37 SQUARES!! Only 63 more needed!!

Fourthly - I would like to address Blog Etiquette – if there is such a thing. Should one seek permission to put a link on your own blog to someone else’s blog? When I first started blogging I was doing this, but then I saw that I was on other people’s blogs and they hadn’t asked me (which I am o.k. with) so then I thought I was doing it wrong so I then just added who I “read” to my blog roll. Should one seek permission?

Fifthly - I would like to address that sometimes there is nothing to comment on. What I mean by that is that someone has made a post (generally a wonderful one) and I generally comment, but there are times when I either, don’t agree with what they have posted about, or I can’t think of anything to say to comment on. I sit here and rack my brain to think of something and either someone has already said it, or I just CAN’T think of anything prolific to say. So it is o.k. to read and NOT comment sometimes – though everyone LOVES comments!

Sixthly
– about commenting – if there are a bunch of posts, it is o.k. to just comment on the most recent and not comment on all the previous ones – especially if you have been away and there are 165 new posts on your Bloglines account. I know it is o.k. as I can comment where and when I want, but I was just thinking about it out loud.

Seventhly – how do you get that little icon beside your blog in the address line? Like Rhonda has a little maple leaf, Kathy has a heart and C.J. has her little “picture” symbol??

Eighthly – It is always the question of how much to reveal on your blog. I know MANY others have also grappled with this dilemma as many of them have had some negative experiences. There are many things about myself that I don’t reveal on the blog and perhaps never will. But for now, I am happy with the blogging world and it keeps me in touch with SO MANY wonderful women and that (at this point in time) out weighs any negativity with blogging.

Ninthly – If you are not on my blog roll and you would like to be, please let me know as I am going to be doing some blog housekeeping in the near future.

15 comments:

C's Mom said...

Holy smokes.

1) Sweet!

2) I want a cupcake.

3) Must go look.

4) You are asking the wrong person. I am one of those believers that a public blog IS public. IF it is not PW protected or otherwise invite only I see no reason it cannot be linked....WORLD WIDE WEB. Not everyone agrees with me on that one.

5) Amen. I usually have something inane to say, however ;0)

6) K

7) That is a favicon....in old blogger I could tell you ow to do it. I can send you the code line to put in your template but have sworn off learning how to manipulate new blogger. It may work...or not. Email me if you are interested in the code to do so and I'll try to help you out.

8) You have to define your own personal limits. No one can give you clues there other than just know that ANYONE could be reading what you write.

9) :0)

There....did I address every.single.solitary.point? ;0)

Rhonda said...

1) You're more than welcome!

2) Any leftovers?

3) If I were doing one, I'd send you a square...but umm, yeah.

4) I generally only put links on if the person asks or if I'm on theirs. I don't really care one way or the other if I'm on others without them asking. I've been to several for the first time and I'm already linked there. ;)

5) You mean I didn't have to comment on this!? Fooled again...

6) Sometimes when I update an old post (usually my 'funky searches' one) I get a stray comment now and then. Since all my comments go to my email, I know who's commenting when. It sounds a little freaky, but I like it.

7) Are we done yet? I mean, umm, like C.J., I also built it in old blogger. Truth be told, I ripped it off of Kathy's blog, but don't tell her... ;)

8) I try to keep my blog 'light' and don't get into much detail about things. Hey, if people go into my archives and are fascinated by my cat's diarrhoea, more power to them. ;) I also agree with C.J. and this is one of the reasons why my picture isn't (and never will be) on my blog...nor will any pictures of our daughter.

9) I'm already there, do I get a cupcake now? :P

Anne Marie said...

From fourthly on down, I'm with you woman.

Special K said...

After reading your points and those of your commenters I completely forgot what I was going to say.

But what I can remember is that I am going to get a square to you. Promise. Don't give up on me. Just been busy... oh and lazy, too. :)

And I don't worry about what I put on the blog. If I don't want it known I don't say it. It's all public domain... I'm with Connie on that one.

D & S said...

1) That was very thoughtful of them.

2) Another celebration! Happy birthday once again.

3) I'll have to take a look when I have a moment. I have to update mine as well.

4) I'm not sure how to answer that one either. I've found my blog on other blogs and I don't have a problem with that.

5) I agree, it's ok to not always comment.

6) It's also ok to comment on the most recent one entry as well, especially if you do have that many to go through.

7) Couldn't tell you there. I rely on everyone elses expertise.

8) I think you can reveal what you're comfortable with. If you think it might mean trouble, best not to post.

9) Already there and happy to be there.

Unknown said...

Excellent questions. I've had similar. I agree with everyone and have had similar experiences.

A few thoughts...

4) We've added blog links to ours with and without asking. I've seen ours on others and that's OK too. The more the merrier is how I see it.

5/6) I think it's OK not to comment too. I wish I could comment more often, but don't have lots of time....so I either comment on the most recent or something that catches my attention or heart.

8) Totally agree with c.j.

BTW - I've seen the cupcake stand in stores, but have never seen them used. I need one!

Polar Bear said...

I love the cupcake stand. I have seen them in the store, and have thought about getting one, but now I think I will. Very Cute!

I would love to send you a square for your quilt. It may take a while, I will get one in the mail this weekend. sramsey65@alltel.net

In the beginning of blogging I always asked if someone would mind if I put a link on my blog. As time has gone by I don't ask any more. (As you can see I added you, and didn't ask.) :) If there is such a rule than I better send out a BUNCH of e-mail.

There are MANY times that I read a blog and don't know what to say. That especially happens if there are already a lot of good comments. So many people are WAY more clever than I am. I have gotten better, though. I have found I really like getting comments and I am sure others do also, so I try to leave at least a phrase.

I would love to know how that icon goes up in the address bar. It is WAY cool.

I tell what I am comfortable telling on my blog. I always think about my mom reading the blog and that puts a lot of blogging on the back burner. :) I would only blog what you are comfortable with.

Whew! I know I didn't get all of your points, but there is my two cents on some of them.

Oh! You can add me! :)

Jill and Jaap said...

Hi,

just saying hi....

:)

4D said...

Phew..a lot to digest!

I agree with you on etiquette and blogroll, privacy, commenting and the love of a good cupcake.

Keep smilin!

Calico Sky said...

I have the same questions about pictures, blog etiquette and loads more!
Yummy cupcakes!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday happy man. I wish you all the best!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your cupcake tree! YUM-ICIOUS!
I don't always comment either. Sometimes I just don't know what to say to it, so I don't say anything....profound, huh? :-)

Janet

Calico Sky said...

every time I check for updates I look at those pictures and think

Y.U.M.M.Y!

YOU ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY! :)

dawn said...

Yikes this is a long list so I am going to paraphrase my answers: I would love to be on your blog roll and may I return the gift?
Write what you want when you want, we all lurk sometimes.
Love the cupcake tree....very creative.
I don't post pictures that I think Lily would be mad about or anything that makes me get a funny feeling that people might be watching.
Happy Birthday again.....are you really still celebrating the same one??? What mighty fine party animals you guys are.
Many thanks for the heads up on our LID-versary...Geesh you'd think I would know!

The Carmodys said...

Boy I have a lot of catching up to do. I was laughing while reading this for some reason. I guess it was the sixthly, seventhly, etc. Made me giggle. Hmm. Anyway, I see our blog is on your side bar - no problem. I don't have any on mine - no offense to anyway, just can't be bothered. I love reading your blog though and it's even cooler now that I've met you - even as breif as it was. Ok, totally unorganized comment - sorry about that. I'm done.

k