Monday, October 18, 2010

Memories




When I was little I remember the 'little' bird around all the time. They were kind of a mousy brown and hopped around. I later discovered that they were called Chickadees. They were so cute and so small and EVERYWHERE!! I don't however remember the black and white ones as shown here in this picture.

As you get older, your focus changes on things. I suppose I didn't notice the little birds anymore. I am sure that they were there, I just didn't notice them or pay attention to them.

Life goes on and then it doesn't.

In October 2001 my dad died. It was very sudden and very unexpected and he was far too young. His wishes were to be cremated. We honoured those wishes. There is a cemetery not far from here that has scattering grounds. A lovely wooded ravine type area. There is a platform built that juts out over the ravine. From here is where you can scatter the ashes of your loved ones. This is what we chose to do for my dad.

As the ashes were being scattered and the tears were rolling down my face I saw a bunch of little tiny birds exactly like the one pictured above. I don't remember noticing them before - with this colouring. But there they were - LOTS of them happily flitting around. Now every time I see one of those birds, I think of my dad.

9 comments:

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

You and Tanya both lost your dads and I think it's interesting that this photo (I think it's Tanya's photo) was taken this week. Tanya's dad's birthday is today. Funny how things work...
You lost your dad far too young and I am so sorry. Big hugs to you, my friend.

D & S said...

It's amazing the things that remind us of our loved ones that have passed on. When I see roses it reminds me of my mom. They were her favourite.

I wish I could have met your dad, like I wish you could have met my mom. That would mean they would still be here with us.

Catherine said...

What a sweet way to remember your dad.

Anonymous said...

My mom loved birds, for me it is blue birds.

High On Craft said...

My dad used to call me his little chickadee. Every fall when I go feed them there is always one that lingers in my hand for a while and cocks it's head as if it's looking at me and I just know that it is my dad saying "hi".

4D said...

That is a lovely way to remember your dad. It is sad to lose the ones we love but it brings some comfort to those missing them to have these little moments/momentos/etc...

Keep smilin!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

For me, it's the smell of dust in a truck that makes me think of my dad. He was always driving an old truck and anytime I smell that smell, it brings me right back.

Michele said...

That is a beautiful memory to cherish.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post.