Friday, October 20, 2006

I am a lucky girl...

Well Wednesday was my father-in-law Jürgen’s 65 birthday!!! Happy Belated Birthday Jürgen!!!

Tonight, we had Mercy and Jürgen (Mark’s parents) and Jenn & Paul & Kids (Jenn is Mark’s sister) over for dinner.

We had "THAT" salad and FAJITAS at Jürgen’s request and of course CAKE!! You can’t have a birthday party without cake! We decided on a Mexican theme...

Mark went out and purchased the “party favours”. There were streamers, signs, hats and leis (so they are not Mexican - but they are fun).

Our dining room table would comfortably fit 4 people – if you REALLY had to squish in 6 you could do it (as long as there was not too much food or there would be no room for the plates, cutlery and glasses). In anticipation of having 8 for dinner tonight, Mark and I decided it was time to do something about the table.

Our dining room table is quite small – which is good because our dining room is quite small. However, when having a dinner party you need more space. We had heard of something from a friend – Rob – who suggested that we can keep our current table and construct a “leaf” for the table.

What this meant was a piece of plywood cut to the size we wanted (7’ x 3 ½’) and then cut in half. What we did then was put a hinge in the middle of the two pieces and then placed it ON TOP of the current table. Throw a table cloth on top of it and BOOM you have a very comfortable table for 8!!!



For those of you who know Mark and I, you know that constructing ANYTHING is quite a feat!!! I am very proud of Mark and our “new” table. The beauty of it is that it folds in half and stores neatly in the basement!!

ANYWAY – when I started this blog entry I called it “I am a lucky girl…” well I am - for MANY reasons. The particular reason I stated it here was because I have GREAT “in-laws”. I know there are MANY people out there who are not a lucky as I am. My in-laws are WONDERFUL people and I enjoy spending time with all of them. They are all very warm, kind, caring and loving! They are all very excited about becoming grandparents and aunts and uncles again. I am not sure that Logan understands that he is going to have more cousins, but by the time that they arrive, he will be old enough to understand and Saige, well, she will be about 3 when the ‘pumpkin/s’ arrive and she will enjoy playing with them.

We had a great night tonight at dinner, lots of laughs and we all ate too much!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! Great job on the table and Happy Birthday Jürgen!
Looks like it was a very festive evening.

D & S said...

It sounds like everyone had a great time. It's great when everyone's able to get together to celebrate.

Anonymous said...

We had a great time guys! Thanks for hosting Dad's 65th!!!!