Thursday, March 29, 2007

Anybody want some pretty coloured paper?


So let me set up the scene for you...

There is a group of us at work that are in a lottery pool. We give $10 or $20 to the Lottery Guy and he records how many weeks we have paid for and he buys the tickets for the group.

Today he says "Michelle, you owe me some money - do you have any on you?"

I say "Well actually I DO have money" (This is a RARE occasion - I usually use my Visa for everything and rarely have cash).

So I pull $10 out of my pocket that I had put there that morning cause it was on my dresser. As I pull it out I am feeling it...hmmm feels odd...

I tell Lottery Guy - my money 'feels odd'...I am going to investigate.

Being the super sleuth that I am, I deduce that this $10 note is a FAKE!!!

How do I know this? Well quite a few years ago I was preparing a deposit for work. I went on my merry way and forwarded the funds to Finance for deposit...well, it turns out the money was counterfeit...What a HUGE hullabaloo that was. How was I supposed to know how to recognize counterfeit money? Well after that I made it my mission to know the difference.

I took the magnifying glass to the fake note and was able to tell. THEN I put it in the counterfeit detector and discovered that I was CORRECT...a lot of good that did me, now I am out $10!

Unfortunately when I bought something earlier in the week - another strange time when I had actually cash, they gave me counterfeit money for change!

Mark is going to take the 'pretty coloured paper' to work tomorrow to show everyone...I am going to have to come up with another $10 to give Lottery Guy...

10 comments:

Polar Bear said...

Well that sure stinks!!

Someone sure went to a lot of time and effort to make fake money.

I hope you win the lottery to regain your loss. :)

Anonymous said...

Damn! It looks pretty realistic too :(

4D said...

I have seen fake credit cards but not cash. Sucky but cool!

Keep smilin!

Cari said...

This happened to me once, also with a $10.00 bill -- don't know why!!
Very frustrating!
Cari

Anne Marie said...

I can't believe it! That is so terrible. Sorry you got ripped off, but it is a good story to tell!

Liz and Ava said...

That sure sucks!!!
Another reason to use your visa or mastercard...can collect air miles or GM points while you do.

Jill and Jaap said...

yuck!

I would not know the difference.

D & S said...

I use to run into this all the time when I worked at the bank. The look on my customer's faces when I would tell them their money was fake just broke my heart. I feel for those that have been swindled like that.

Calico Sky said...

How funny!!! I don't think I have ever had any fake money!

Tao's Mommy said...

Thats crappy!! I wouldnt know the difference. I wonder how many times I have had "fake" money in my hands and not know it!!