Saturday, June 16, 2007

The oven is not just for cooking anymore...

...it can also be used for melting your fridge magnets, warping your kitchen artwork, curling the edges of your pictures drawn for you by your nieces and nephews and even heating up a pie!

Yes - I did all of those in one day!

Remember the last post when our appliances were in the dining room? We had NO space for anything and there was so much stuff on top of the stove...I thought a good place to store it and get it out of the way would be to put everything IN the oven and then we would have more space...

Well when the kitchen was 1/2 done, we were able to put the oven back in there. My aunt was in town and she was having dinner with us as was Phil. We BBQ'd and ate outside so it wasn't a big deal that we had no kitchen cooking space or no dining room to eat in.

Since we had the oven back in the kitchen and that happened JUST before dinner was ready. When it was time for dessert, I thought I would warm up the pie that we were having as it just tastes nicer that way...

I ran inside, turned on the oven to warm it up and then went back outside. About 10 minutes later I came in to pop the pie in the oven. I opened the back door and thought - "HMMM - WHAT is that smell..." It didn't take long to remember (what I wasn't going to forget) all the stuff that was in the oven.

I RAN to the oven, turned it off, opened the door and grabbed the mitts...

It was too late for most things...

I am kicking myself now that I didn't take a picture of the carnage - but trust me, it wasn't pretty...

Lesson learned - the oven is NOT a place for storage...

19 comments:

dawn said...

I know it isn't funny but....I am laughing cos I have done the sem thing.

Once when we were kids my dad couldn't get to the bank with the deposit from the business so he hid it in the oven and forgot about it. My mum used the oven the next day and lets just say the queens face was never the same on most of the money.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

I'm glad that I am not the only one laughing. Dawn is my evil influence!
Sorry that this happened, Michelle...it sounds like something I would do, if that makes you feel any better.

Operationtigerlily said...

You'll be happy to know that I have made shrinky dinks out of most of my tupperware by putting my electric cooktop (thank god we are switcing over to gas with the remodel). I have scraped off melted plastic off too many times to count.

momladybird said...

Oh no poor you! I had a friend that used to hide all her dirty dishes in the oven if unexpected guests arrived.
Little Miss Ladybird

Unknown said...

What a post..Glad you are okay...TO Lisa M, I loved shrinky drinks!

Calico Sky said...

I did let out a small chuckle too!
Hope you're OK!

Polar Bear said...

That is funny! I'm sorry to admit.

I thought you were going to write about some fun activities you did with your nieces and nephews. I was going to take notes because my niece is in town, and my nephews are coming next week. I am always looking for fun things to do. Well, I just ended up with a different type of note. "Don't store in then oven!" LOL

I hope there wasn't anything too priceless you lost.

4D said...

I totally store stuff in there and I did it once like you. Ya learn to check from thereon in.

Tee hee!

Keep smilin!

"M2" said...

that is really quite funny

C's Mom said...

I've pulled that trick - it bites.

Yep, we need photographic evidence around here :0)

redmaryjanes said...

I haven't done that yet, but I would never say never.
At least you can smile through it!

Catherine said...

Ugh! I'm guessing we've all done stuff like this. Thanks to blogging (and your honesty) we're all getting a chuckle! Heehee! Thanks for the laugh.

Catherine...who baked more of mom's frying pots in the oven than I care to confess!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Oops. :-) At least you didn't hide a cat or anything in there.....

Elisa...life as we know it. said...

Ohh dear that's terrible..and I feel bad for laughing.

yep you won't be doing that again!

Unknown said...

Bless your heart...Hope you have a better week

waitingformaddie said...

OH BOY. Well it makes for a funny story after the fact.

On mu old stove there was a spot on the range that got REALLY hot when the oven was on. I have warped many items on that hot spot time and again. You are not alone

Donna Paonessa said...

OH NO!!!! Hope it wasn't anything too important that got ruined. YIKES!

Donna

D & S said...

All I can say is, oops!

Tracey and Mike said...

Oh, nasty! Hope it didn't stink up your new kitchen too much!