Thursday, December 28, 2006

Roofing Woes...

Mark and I live in a condo townhouse. Our monthly maintenance fees include all sorts of things…It includes our water, cable, snow plowing/shoveling – right to our front door, lawn cutting, windows, doors and roofs!!

Well currently we are getting our roof replaced. Our ‘block’ is 5 homes. We live in the middle home. Yesterday morning they started about 10:00am and they did homes 1 & 2. In order to do homes 1 & 2, they parked their large, black ‘trailer’ on our front lawn. Yes what a beautiful site it is!!

While pulling their large, black trailer on to our front lawn, they managed to rip up a bunch of our grass. LOVELY!!

Well yesterday, I was going out to meet my friend Kelly for lunch. I left the house about 11:45. When I walked out, I stopped to look at my pot. It was broken and a bunch of the soil was on the patio stones. One of the roofers was walking towards me. I asked “What happened to my pot?” His response “WE DIDN’T DO IT, WE DIDN’T DO ANYTHING!” and yes the caps signify LOUD voices.

Since I didn’t have time to argue, I kept walking to my car as not to be late for lunch. Mark wasn’t home at the time so I called him to let him know what to expect when he arrived home – the large, black trailer on the front lawn, broken pot, torn up grass and rude workers. I told him that I was going to take pictures of the damage when I returned home.

Well Mark – NEVER the procrastinator – decided to take pictures for himself. While taking pictures he was talking with Linda, our neighbour, and discussing how they damaged our pot, grass etc. and that if there was anything else that they damaged he was going to call the corporation and complain about them. Well, the roofers were sitting in their truck and they heard the whole conversation. They came to the door and rang the doorbell, and in the same LOUD tone, asked Mark who he was going to call, what was he going to complain about. Mark explained that our pot was broken and the grass torn up. Roofer guy said, well when we went to move the pot it broke – WAIT A MINUTE – 45 minutes prior to this, roofer dude told me that they didn’t do it and they didn’t touch anything...HMMMM

Then roofer dude said that he would give us $10 for the pot and they assured us that they would fix the grass (neither has happened, nor do we expect it to). I know the pot doesn't look bad and neither does the grass, I think the thing that got me the most was the yelling. That just set me off and amplified everything else that was happening. Regardless and letter will be written...

Well that was not the end of it. About 4:00, roofer dude rang the doorbell again to tell us that they didn’t have the correct truck to pull large, black trailer off our front lawn. Was it o.k. if they left it there overnight?? Well what does one say to that? Well fine then, they assured us that it would only be one night and that tomorrow they would move the large, black trailer. This photo is me standing at my front door and the lovely view that I have.

Later that evening, when we were popping by Tracey’s, we noticed that the trailer hitch was being supported by stones FROM OUR GARDEN!! Can you believe it?? They took OUR stones to support their large, black trailer!!!

Well this morning, the roofer dudes were back and they were up on the roof banging away at 7:30 – it was still DARK!! Anyway bang, bang they were going all morning. I had to take a couple of pictures off the wall as they were shaking so much I thought they might fall down.

I left the house at 11:30 to meet Kathleen (my cousin) for lunch and they were packing up – for what I thought was their lunch. I got back from lunch about 1:30 or so and they were nowhere to be found. Mark was home by then and said he hadn’t seen them at all. It is now 5:00 and it is dark and there are no roofer dudes to be found – However, there is roofer dudes large, black trailer STILL on our front lawn!!

12 comments:

The Carmodys said...

How annoying is that!?! You definitely need to write that letter - and get some new "roofer dudes".

k

Anne Marie said...

Sheeeesh! Unbelievable! Or worse yet, I guess unfortunately it *is* believable. Many letters need to be written!

D & S said...

That's terrible! I can't believe these guys had the nerve to treat you guys like that. You should let the powers that be know what type of people they're hiring.

C's Mom said...

Arrrgghhh! Consturction stuff is a nightmare for everyone it seems.

I feel for ya and hope you get rid of BBT (big black trailer) pronto.

Tracey and Mike said...

I used to live in a condo. Our property manager was like a pittbull - one call to Debbie & she would have been all over those roofer dudes! You should contact your management corp. asap. Good luck!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Good Lord!!! That is incredible! Joel and I had our house built and we were the first people to live in the neighborhood so we know the strife of living through construction. I feel for you, sweet girl.

Calico Sky said...

How awful! And us Canadians are supposed to be polite! I'm sorry you had that experience, I hope it is all fixed soon. I wish everyone would learn it's now what happens/what you say it's how you say it. I am sure if they rang the doorbell and said 'I'm really sorry Ma'am but we accidentially broke your pot' you would of smiled and been OK about it. Argh, bad builders!!!
I must say I never thought I would look at a picture taken in Ontario in December and not see snow :-(

Rosie said...

I love your blog title and you are DTC the same month as we are!!
I shall add you to my links page!!

Jill and Jaap said...

WOW...I think one nice, long letter needs to be written for sure.

I can't believe after all that...they used your rocks!

Happy New Year if I don't talk to you before then!

Tao's Mommy said...

Oh I feel for you!! Havng construction doen is bad enough, but during the HOLIDAYS is brutal!! I would just give that little trailer a push down the street and say "I dont know where it went" to the dudes!!!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I soooo feel your pain! I hate construction! Those guys really make a bad name for themselves! And honestly, using your stones? Wow. Letters must be written. LLOOOOONNNNGGGG letters. Of disgust. Although, I kind of like Kim's solution...."um, I don't know where the trailer went.... maybe once you pay me for the stuff you wrecked it will return?" Tee hee.

Unknown said...

Bad roofer dudes. Bad. I hope your roof turns out better :)