Friday, December 01, 2006

My Rant...

I do know that wait time for referrals in China are increasing. I get that – what I don’t get is that 1 month ago when we were DTC, our agency told us that we would have about a 15 month wait from LID. I do also understand that this is their best guess. However, just TODAY we were told to expect an 18 month wait!!! If the wait keeps going up 3 months every month...I just can’t even start to think about that...

Not to harp on this (but I will anyway), in January of 2006 we were told that if we started THAT DAY our paper chasing, that we would have our baby by June 2007. I had a hard time with THAT wait...

Now, with everything crossed, we are HOPING that we will receive our referral by April of 2008 with travel in June of 2008...I don’t even want to talk about the Beijing Summer Olympics and how that will affect us – remember what happened in Korea when that that country hosted the Seoul Summer Olympics...

There was some explanation in our weekly newsletter from our agency about how the process works: As you know, families’ files are logged in some 2-4 weeks after their arrival in China. This becomes your LID or log in date. Files from agencies all over the world are recorded in similar fashion. On any given log in date, there could conceivably be hundreds of files recorded, as there are about 150 agencies working in China. For the CCAA, this LID is the only number that is meaningful. Our group numbers are largely irrelevant for it is your LID that is key.

Every month the CCAA looks at the number of children it has on file waiting for families. It then assesses how many families it can match that month, and the log in time frame covered. For instance if there are 500 children waiting, and 500 families files logged in over a two-week period, then that two weeks is the matching period. If there are three weeks of log in dates, then the matching time is three weeks. This matching process occurs once a month. Referrals are then sent out and there is no more matching until the next month. We have heard projected waits from 18-24 months. Realistically no one knows, not even CCAA, as no one can predict the number of children that will be waiting for families, and what other factors might arise to affect matching. Right now we are advising families in waiting to prepare for an 18-month wait from log in to referral.

So that is the latest news that I have on the wait times…When you couple that on top of the 3 years it has already been trying to expand our family...I just didn’t imagine becoming a mother for the first time this late in life...AAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!

While I am on this rant, I might as well also say that how come the American people who adopt from China get to go to China up to 3-4 weeks earlier to get their babies then Canadians?? There are some families who received a referral on November 2nd and they will be home before the end of the year with their babies and some Canadian families who got a referral the same day don’t even depart for China until January???? How is the process so different for each country?

I am happy for the people that have recently received their referrals – I REALLY am, perhaps I am just envious that they are so far ahead of us in line...

I am actually at a point now that I don’t want to tell anybody that I have ANY good news – adoption related or not – whenever I start out with “I have some news” (or something else to that effect) they think we are getting our baby next week. I have explained OVER and OVER that that is NOT the case, but that is what people think anyway. I keep explaining that it is going to be 2008 and NOT any sooner, but...well others in my position know the rest...I know they have good intentions and only want us to be happy but continually saying that next year at this time your baby will be here, or that this is your last ‘babyless’ Christmas is upsetting. I almost want to apologize for not having our baby here sooner...

And just to continue with this rant, why is it when you think you are posting a picture on Blogger and it says ‘DONE’ there is no picture in your template?? Where did it go? Why does it work sometimes and not other times???

O.k. I’m good now, I’m done ranting...

10 comments:

C's Mom said...

There! It has to feel better to just let that stuff out. I know EXACTLY what ya mean. It bites. I'm gonna get bone-skinny and go sky-diving while I wait for 4-08 to show up. Who knows what else? I figure I can do anything I want in that time with the exception of becoming a mom.

Vent on...anytime. This venue really is therapy for that.

Oh...and the picture thing? Because Blogger is just as undpredictable as the wait.

Jill and Jaap said...

I hear ya sister!

I'm trying to keep a positive outlook...I really am.

It is so hard.

Anne Marie said...

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes!!! My mom just can't get it through her head that it will take longer than a year no matter how many times I tell her. People think they're making you feel better by telling you it might speed up, or saying "don't worry it will happen", but it's as much help as just listening and understanding. Thank god for blogs and bloggers.

Anne Marie said...

oops.. that should be it's *not* as much help

Anne Marie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa said...

I hear you loud and clear girlfriend!! I was bummed yesterday at the measley (however you spell it) amount of referrals. I'm very happy for the families who are recieveing them but come on.

Anyway you're safe with your venting with us.

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Ahhhhh yes, I know and understand exactly how you feel! My friend got an e-mail re: the wait today also. You can check it out at the Jeff and Jen link on my blog. There's nothing I can say, but know that I understand. And just be ready to deal with having to explain things to people over and over again. After a few months, they'll think you're crazy and have dreamt this whole thing up...trust me...that's how it works. Hang in there. Keep reaching out for those who've BTDT. That's where you get the best support for sure!

The Carmodys said...

Good rant Michelle - you go girl!!! I can totally relate to pretty much everything you said in there. People just don't get the adoption thing unless they're also in the process of adopting. And that whole thing about the Americans getting to travel sooner than us Canadians - what's up with that???? I can't believe it when I go on some blogs of people in the US who just also got their referrals and they're talking about travelling early to mid January. We've been told that we can't travel until after CNY - departing Toronto on February 23!!!! Can you believe that??? Ok, sorry, now I'm ranting.

Anyway, thanks for expressing a lot of my feelings and frustrations - past and present!

k

Anonymous said...

I guess I dont want to hear what they say next month!

Anthony & Crystal said...

AHHHHHH
You took the words right out of my mouth.............
I find it so difficult to explain to all who ask that in fact, we won't have our daughter by next Christmas........and it will be closer to the summer 2008......
It's enough to make me cry.....