Saturday, November 18, 2006

What a GREAT night!!

7 hours
216 km
7 new friends...

I left my home at 5:00 last night to go on an adventure of sorts. I was on my way to meet 7 other ladies whom I had never met and who were also adopting from China – this was a ‘mommies in waiting’ dinner. I arrived at the restaurant at 6:30 and we left just more then 4 hours later with 7 new friends and was home just after midnight!!

What a great night we had. In the photo from left to right is: Rebekah, Paula, Kathy, Andrea, Laurie, Jill, Catherine and me.

We talked about all things adoption...from fertility (or lack there of), to bringing baby home. Laurie, who was our resident expert, answered all the questions we kept asking her about China as she was there in 2005 adopting her first daughter Sophie – what a cutie she is!!

It was so nice to meet Kathy, Jill, Paula and Catherine in person as I had been following their lives on their blogs for the last couple of months.

The whole night made the adoption seem real – and validating as Kathy said. These were other women feeling the same excitement, joy, and fears that I was.

Speaking of Kathy, she bought ‘Pumpkin’ this lovely book and picture frame. This is present number 2 for Pumpkin!!


Our timelines for getting our babies is spread out. Catherine is first ‘in line’ with and LID of March with me at the end of the line (with Jill & Laurie) waiting for our LID’s – hopefully soon!!

Book PageWhen I got home last night, Mark was waiting for me and he wanted to hear all about my night. He was so excited that I was going out there and meeting other mommies. I showed him Pumpkin’s presents and he immediately picked up the book and read it and said – I LOVE THIS PICTURE then he got up and imitated the moose – it was very humourous.

So I must say that that 7 hours FLEW by and was very well spent!!

Thank you ladies for such a GREAT evening!!

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

Glad to hear that your mom's home!

The bloggy summit must have been a blast!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

It was certainly a night I won't soon forget! Thank you so much, Michelle, for driving such a long way for us. It was so nice to meet you! I was just telling Joel how incredibly sweet I think you are. Hopefully it won't be too long before we can get together again.

PaulaBrett said...

I had a wonderful time last night. I was so glad to meet you since our lives have been following the same paths so to speak.
Hopefully you will be able to come to our next Mommies in Waiting event. It really did make the adoption seem to so real.
Thanks for driving so far.

4D said...

Sounds like a great time!

Keep smilin!

wzgirl said...

That is TERRIFIC! Isn't being with others waiting like the best medicine for the soul? Make sure that you get together again & again!!

Catherine said...

It was such a great evening! It was wonderful to meet you Michelle! Looking forward to January when it will be easier for you to participate in the conversation. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Jill and Jaap said...

Had so much fun too Michelle and looking forward to the next one! Thanks for coming all that way! It was great to meet you!

Tao's Mommy said...

Glad that you get to have get togethers like that. I know a few of those ladies via bloggyville and they are WONDERFUL!!
Anyways, just came across your blog and look forward to reading though some more!! Good Luck on your journey....its a ride so HANG ON!!!